JOB TITLE: Laboratory Technician
LOCATION: Lagos, Nigeria
The Initiative for Equal Rights (TIERs) is a non-profit organization committed to the promotion and protection of human rights in Nigeria. We are dedicated to achieving full equality and inclusion for marginalized communities, including LGBTQ+ people, women, and people with disabilities.
We are currently seeking to hire a Lab Technician to join our team. The ideal candidate will be experienced, motivated and able to work independently, who is passionate about human rights and wants to make a real difference in the lives of marginalized people in Nigeria.
As the Lab Technician, you will be responsible for maintaining and managing the laboratory equipment, conducting experiments, and analyzing results. You will be working closely with our team to develop and execute research projects to gather data on the status of human rights, health and well-being of marginalized communities in Nigeria. The ultimate goal of this research is to develop evidence-based recommendations that will inform policy development and advocacy.
- Collect biological samples from clients
- Collate where necessary, process samples, and interpret the result according to the highest standard of guiding principles.
- Provide laboratory quality management system and support services to all projects
- Monitor the biosafety status of the laboratory sites
- Maintain, calibrate, clean and test the sterility of the laboratory equipment
- Provide technical support and advice where needed to strengthen biomedical interventions in all programs and research activities
- Order and maintain stock and resources inventory related to the laboratory
- Ensure the logistics of laboratory reagents and clinical specimens
- Integrate results with the medical team and provide follow-up laboratory investigations of patients to providers in the assigned network.
- Design, implement and monitor the system to ensure efficient documentation of laboratory information
- Record patient data and appointments into the data pool, and collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation department on organizational data validity.
- Present results to senior staff; writing reports, reviews, and summaries
- Collaborate with other health professionals, internal and external, to bring the best standard of treatment to clinic clients
- Stay current on laboratory best practices, research, and technology to best integrate with the rest of the team.
(Other duties may be assigned)
The candidate is required to possess the following:
- Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS), HND In Science laboratory Technology or equivalent with an up-to-date practicing license.
- At least one (1) year of relevant work experience in supporting medical professionals in research, testing and laboratory maintenance, recording data, sterilizing equipment, and ordering and organizing supplies.
- Receiving, labeling, and safely storing samples to be tested
- Determining and performing tests needed for the analysis and report
- Recording tests and analyses and then reporting the results
- Discussing and answering any questions regarding the results
- Organizing and storing samples in accordance with all safety and other requirements to ensure the safety of personnel and integrity of the sample
- Cleaning and maintaining lab equipment, including recalibration of equipment
- Maintaining equipment records and daily work logs
- Staying current on technical and scientific advances in their field.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply, please access the job description by clicking here
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Application for this role closes by Midnight, Monday, 23rd January 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
TIERs believes that diverse teams are strong teams. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity, composed of teams with a mix of genders, ages, education, and multiple tribes, faiths, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicity, and origins to apply.