JOB TITLE: Executive Director LOCATION: Lagos, Nigeria
APPLICATION CLOSE: 24th March 2023
REPORTING TO: Board of Trustees/Director
We are hiring for the post of Executive Director as the organization is transitioning into the next phase of its strategic plan for the next 10 years, transitioning to a feminist organization promoting the rights of LGBTQIA+ people in Nigeria and West Africa. TIERs has experienced a tremendous growth in the last fifteen years and we are excited about the future with the great foundation already established.
SUMMARY: The position holder functions as the Chief Executive Officer of the organisation. In this capacity, s/he is responsible for implementation of policies set by the Board of Directors/Trustees as well as annual goals and objectives, program, and administrative management of the organisation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate with the Board of Directors/Trustees in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization direction.
- Recognize, evaluate, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that could affect the organization in achieving the set goal and objectives.
- Serve as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities and strategic direction.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization and on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Represent the organization at public and community
OPERATIONAL PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization as approved by the board
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of the targeted populations for each project.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the
- Board as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials for annual board meeting and review.
PROGRAM PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programmes and services.
- Ensure that the programmes and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the organization.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programmes and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality in deliverables.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects within the organization
HUMAN RESOURCES PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- In consultation with the board, determine staffing requirements for organizational management for senior staff.
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission and deliver day to day activities.
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization when hired.
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
- Discipline staff when necessary, using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary,using appropriate and legally defensible procedures.
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
- Work with the finance team to prepare a comprehensive budget based on operation plan developed by programme departments.
- Work with the Board and staff to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fundraising plans and write funding proposals to increase the funds of the organization.
- Approve expenditures based on the advice of finance department and in consultation with head of departments.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed throughout the year.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget of donors, annual organization budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Provide the Board with annual reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization based on external financial audit.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments, pension, health insurance and other related.
- Responsible for supervision of all assigned staff.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, recommendation for hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing of work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- To perform this job successfully, the applicant must have at least five years’ experience in similar position and must understand the primary task of TIERs. Applicant should have a degree in business administration/ management, project management, international relations, public health, sociology or other related.
- Previous experiences in non-for profit and LGBT rights/ Sexual rights organizations is a plus. Further, applicant must be willing to associate with the organization and her work publicly.
Capacity to define problems and draw valid conclusions; implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies. Further, applicant must be able to analyze, and interpret general financial reports, legal documents, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; write reports, develop grant proposal, and efficiently engages a wider group of sectors in Nigeria for the mainstreaming of sexual rights discussion.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of the principles and techniques of research grant administration, contract administration and negotiation, community organizing, fiscal and organizational management. Ability to plan, direct and coordinate activities; negotiate and administer contracts. Communicate effectively in both written and oral forms; exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Initiative for Equal Rights is a registered non-governmental organization working towards the protection and promotion of the human rights of sexual minorities in Nigeria. For more information, please visit www.initiative4equality.org
The annual salary for this role is between N9,000,000 to N12,000,000 annually based on qualification and experience.
Method of Application
Please submit a cover letter of at least 300 words with your CV as a single file, detailing how your skills and experience relates to the role to email@example.com
Please use the subject title: Executive Director (Only short-listed candidates will be contacted).