Job Title: Communications and Content Officer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Reporting to: Director Human Rights and Advocacy. Secondary supervisor, Executive Director
SUMMARY: The Communications and Content Officer of The Initiative for Equal Rights (TIERs) functions as the media officer of the organization. In this capacity, the staff will work closely with other programmes staff and supervisors in development of media strategies that will communicate the work of TIERs at different levels of engagement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Additional duties may be assigned.
- The Content and Communications Officer would oversee the organization’s communications programs.
- Plan, implement and evaluate TIERs media and communications outreach programs and services.
- Develop a media strategic plan to guide TIERs activities including messaging and identifying key media opportunities.
- Generate content and manage all TIERs media platforms, including its website and social media platforms.
- Oversee day-to-day media delivery to maintain and improve quality: including writing and editing press releases, blogs, letters to the editor, opinion pieces, produce video + audio materials, commissioning others and liaising with vendors to produce communication materials.
- Prepare media briefings and engagements, manage and run TIERs monthly newsletter.
- Identify, assess, and inform TIERs of internal and external media issues that may affect the organization performance.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of TIERs on issues relating to media engagement.
- Represent TIERs at events, to enhance the organization’s profile at community level and partners forum.
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of TIERs
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of TIERs
- Organize and promote events organized by TIERs.
- Attend to all other official duties assigned
- The candidate is required to possess a degree in any field.
- In addition, the candidate must possess at least a minimum of 1 year relevant work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others in a diverse team, across organizational boundaries and multiple locations, and with team members at all levels.
- Confidence and enthusiasm when communicating to both external partners and the internal project team in both formal and informal presentations
- Passion for social change with interest in the field of human rights, SOGIESC, social justice, gender equity, and civic engagement.
- Exceptional professionalism, follow-through and people skills.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and/or a sense of humor is a plus
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Preexisting media/press list and relationship with Nigerian and international publications
- Preexisting portfolio of graphics and other media
- Knowledge of website design, management, maintenance of infrastructure, and monitoring traffic and performance.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of media research
- Exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies
Salary N150,000 to N300,000 monthly commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position for employment or contract. TIERs seeks exceptional applicants and offers excellent employer-paid benefits and working perks.
Application Closing date
Application for this role closes at midnight Sunday 19th August 2018
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letter and CV’s to: email@example.com. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by Friday 31st August 2018
TIERs believes that diverse teams are strong teams. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity, composed of teams with a mix of genders, ages, education, and multiple tribes, faiths, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicity, and origins to apply.
Download the call for application in PDF below