LOCATION: Lagos, Nigeria
REPORTING TO: Executive Director
WHAT WILL THE ROLE ENTAIL?
We’re looking for a lawyer to join TIERs’ Human Rights and Advocacy Team. The person will provide advice on the strategic direction of programs that address the stigma, discrimination and violence experienced by LGBT+ persons in Nigeria. The person will also engage with policymakers and other relevant stakeholders in ensuring issues of LGBT+ rights are prioritized.
We’re a small and close-knit team and are looking for someone who would fit in and work smoothly with our existing staff. Our Ideal candidate is
- A person with a genuine commitment to human rights
- A person with empathy, who supports and respects people of all genders, ages, socio-economic classes, sexual orientation, abilities and ethnicities.
- A person who doesn’t stay in the shadows but takes initiative while balancing that skill with the ability to actively listen, and allow others to contribute.
- A person who is reliable and responsible.
- A person who is honest, positive, and optimistic.
- A person who shares openly and willingly pitches in to help others, and is able to collaborate.
- A person who can hold themselves accountable and are able to back up the talk with action.
- A person with excellent communication and discipline to timelines and deadlines.
- A problem solver, who also knows how to delegate and ask for help.
- A person with excellent project management skills who is able to multitask and juggle more than three projects at a time.
- A person who is detail-oriented, adaptable, flexible and persistent.
- A person who with availability to travel within and outside the country, sometimes on short notice
- A person who can form, nurture and sustain relationships with Funders, Donors, Partners, Governments and other stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Writing grant proposals, developing project ideas, and executing it to a conclusion in collaboration with the Human Rights and Advocacy team.
- Developing advocacy priorities and strategies, identifying advocacy opportunities, and undertaking advocacy targeting governments, intergovernmental organizations, and the public.
- Coordinating and providing training and other capacity-building activities to human rights defenders and activists, nascent LGBT+ organizations both in Nigeria and within the West Africa sub-region.
- Providing strategic direction, technical assistance and networking support to human rights defenders/activists and networking with mainstream human rights CSOs.
- Undertaking and working closely with the research and knowledge management team to research and analyse, prepare reports and publications focusing on SOGIE based issues and rights.
- When necessary, serve as a spokesperson for TIERs, including through the preparation of statements, media releases and op-eds.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key partners including NGOs, Governments, intergovernmental organizations, human rights bodies and experts, the press and funders.
- Working closely with international, regional, national and local civil society organizations and activists through formal and informal coalitions.
- Monitoring key developments in relation to human rights violations experienced by LGBT+ persons, and preparing and publishing annual reports highlighting human rights violations based on SOGIE.
- Contributing to the writing, editing and publication of TIERs’ publications, including papers, shadow reports and other related publications.
- Working closely with other team members to prepare and submit funding proposals that can support the advancement of the work of the department.
- Assisting with the planning, and preparation of TIERs’ public advocacy events.
- Supervising and managing other direct support staff and other personnel where appropriate.
- Performing other duties that might be assigned by direct supervisors.
- (Additional duties may be assigned)
The salary for this role is N400,000 monthly. This is a full-time position for employment. We are seeking exceptional applicants and offer excellent employer-paid benefits and work perks.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Application for this role closes by 10 a.m. on Saturday 9th May 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
TIERs believes that diverse teams are strong teams. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity, composed of teams with a mix of genders, ages, education, and multiple tribes, faiths, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all genders, ages, abilities, sexual orientations, ethnicity, and origins to apply.