The Initiative for Equal Rights (TIERs) is seeking applications from queer Nigerians living in Nigeria to join its Emergency Response Fund Committee.
About Edge Emergency Response Fund
TIERs hosts an emergency response fund that provides immediate response to the changing needs of LGBTQIA+ people in Nigeria on issues of violence based on their sexual orientation or gender identity either by state or non-state actors. This fund provides funding for emergencies like costs of legal representation, medication, emergency shelter, logistics to ensure that organizations collect information more quickly and are able to intervene in time-sensitive matters, or other interventions that aim to reduce the number of individuals that are coerced into false confessions that lead to police harassment, prosecution and conviction.
The Edge Fund Review Committee
The mandate of the Edge Emergency Fund Review Committee is to deliberate on emergency fund requests as they come in and make quick democratic decisions. We are looking for individuals who are not affiliated with organizations, but have a strong commitment to, and are invested in advocating for the human rights of LGBTQIA+ rights in Nigeria.
Criteria for Committee Members
- Identify as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community
- Have the best interest of the entire LGBTQIA+ community as a priority
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to human rights, LGBTQIA+ advocacy, diversity and equality
- Adhere and practice the values of integrity, transparency, tolerance, confidentiality and discretion.
- Have relevant contextual knowledge and/or experience on LGBTQIA+ rights and issues within their geographical region
- Be easily accessible by email and by phone
- Participate actively in the review and decision-making process for all fund requests
- Be able to communicate, read funding applications and supporting documents
- Must be willing and able to make a significant contribution of time during their tenure. Emergencies happen 24/7 and the response to such emergencies must be quick and efficient.
- Available to attend monthly virtual committee meetings and work virtually with other committee members and staff of TIERs
- Adhere to and strictly comply with the provisions of the conflict of interest, confidentiality agreement required with respect to the activities of the committee.
These committee positions are unpaid voluntary positions. Trans, Intersex, Gender Diverse, and Queer people living outside of Lagos and Abuja are highly encouraged to apply.